Saturday, October 25, 2008

Day One of the APHA 2008 Conference in San Diego

Today was a settling-in day for me, a chance to look around and become acquainted with the area and the center. I am very excited about all of the opportunities to learn at this conference. I am also very excited about all of the opportunities to run along the marina :-)

I read an article in the latest Foreign Affairs journal (Vol. 87 No. 6) regarding the world food crisis. It was, perhaps, the best article I have read about this particular subject. "The Politics of Hunger," by Paul Collier, takes a practical look at the way the world is currently growing and supplying food and offers several suggestions on how to make the task more efficient and cost-effective.

Collier warns against the populism that has thus far fueled the global food crisis. He goes on to suggest that the GM/anti-American battle between the U.S. and Europe should end immediately if any gain is to be made on the side of commercial food production.

I will not go into detail about the article here and now, but I hope to come back to the article and the subject at a later time.

No comments: